Thursday, January 8, 2009

Give me strength!

Oh Lord give me strength! I have lost count of how many times have I said that today. For several years I have been on a medication called Paxil to treat anxiety. Little did I know that when this drug was prescribed to me that it was so addictive. I had no idea that I could not stop taking it without withdrawals. A couple of years ago I ran out of Paxil because I forgot to get it refilled. I thought no big deal. Then after not taking it for a couple of days I thought I was going crazy. My head was swishing, I felt bad and was literally a mess. Then I realized it was because I had quit taking the Paxil. So I refilled the prescription and all was well again I thought. I went to my doctor last March and told her that I wanted to get off of the Paxil. She told me how to wean myself off gradually. Well after a couple of pretty rotten weeks I decided to go back on the Paxil for every ones sanity. It was just not fair to my family. I was just awful. Several weeks ago I started doing some research on the web to get some education regarding Paxil. Wow! I thought it was only me but apparently not. My doctor did not tell me that this drug was also causing my weight gain until yesterday. Yesterday she told me 'yes Paxil does cause weight gain'. Why didn't she tell me that before I started taking it? Since I began taking Paxil I have gained 50 pounds. I have never been this big in my life! Yesterday I weighed at the doctor's office and I weigh 40 pounds more than I did when I gave birth to my children. Unbelievable! I am determined to get off of this terrible drug. If you read my blog and your doctor prescribes this medication to you please do your research before taking this medication or any other medication. I have come to the conclusion we have to watch out for ourselves and quit taking our doctors word that we need a prescription drug to fix the problem. Thanks for listening to my rambling about Paxil but I really feel I need to share with everyone that while this may fix the problem or help make it better trying to get off of it is terrible!

1 comments:

Rhonda said...

Thanks for the warning. I'll pass the info onto my friends who don't blog.
You are right that we have to look out for ourselves. I swear, my doctor sometimes doesn't know his head from a hole in the ground.
Take care.